Financial Aid Alternatives

What if your students don’t meet all the requirements for federal financial aid?

If a student is not eligible for federal aid, they might be eligible for financial aid from their state. Almost all state education agencies provide at least one form of financial aid or have student aid programs available to residents of that state.

It is important to check both the student’s state of residence and their university’s state financial aid options. Heads up, many states require students to fill out the FAFSA, regardless of FAFSA eligibility, to determine the amount of money to award or other possible financial aid opportunities. Other states have their own applications, which can easily be found here.

Can undocumented students receive financial aid?

If your student is undocumented, many states offer financial aid for U.S non-citizens, especially Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients. If your undocumented student needs to complete the FAFSA application, here is more information on filling out the application.

How can a student with a drug conviction receive financial aid? 

If your student has a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid, they must complete the FAFSA and the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet. This form helps the federal government determine if they are eligible for full or partial aid.

Join us at World Future Forum for more research findings and best practices on student debt!